Many Minecraft server hosts might face the problem of Minecraft server lag. The reasons could be varied. Here are pointers:-
• If the server does not have the right kind of specifications that are required to sustain the Minecraft server, then there could be a lag or freeze in the game. Check the post on Minimum System Requirements for Minecraft Server.
You can as well check http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/ to see if your system is capable of hosting a Minecraft server.
• If the bandwidth being employed is not sufficient to support the required number of players, then the server might respond slowly. On the server, the upload speed is what is considered. It is generally mentioned that the server’s bandwidth should be such that, each player gets about 0.25 Megabits per second (0.25Mbps). Even the download speeds on the player’s computer plays an important role in establishing the speed of the game. Check the forum post – http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/114099-why-is-my-server-so-laggy/
• Sometimes not using the latest drivers on the system can cause a lag. This forum post could be of assistance – http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/20542-smp-kills-my-internet-connection/. It is also essential to have the latest drivers for graphics on the player’s computer, as the graphics is rendered here.
• It is advisable to host on a desktop PC rather than a laptop. This is because, most laptops do not have specs that are comparable to a desktop PC. There are gaming laptops which come with top-notch specifications, but they always have the heating-up problem. You will have to place them in a cool atmosphere at all times. And once the heating starts, the entire working of the laptop gets affected. Check the forum post – http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/3024-why-is-minecraft-so-slow-on-my-computer/
• It is best to go for a professional hosting company, to get a server, to host Minecraft, especially for multi-player. This is because, these professional servers will already have the right kind of specifications, that are powerful enough for handling load. They also have back-up options and a variety of other support options to ensure that your hosting happens without any hiccups. Check How to choose a Minecraft Server Provider for more.
• In certain cases, if one feels that the allotted RAM space for Java is low, and wants to increase this, then there are commands to do so. Check this post for more – http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/18950-how-to-allocate-more-ram-to-minecraft/
Note:- The suggestions given in forum posts are not endorsed by Minecraftserverhosting.org. The website does not take responsibility of anything that has been mentioned in the forum links. The links are only provided as reference for readers. The reader is advised to exercise caution while employing any of the suggestions.